There's no denying that a beard is a must-have accessory for the modern man. Beards give your face character, they can be styled to suit your unique look, and #bonus they (potentially... no promises...) make your crush/date/partner go weak at the knees.
Difference Between Beard Moisturizer, Beard Balm, and Beard Oil
But just as the hair on your head requires tailored treatment to keep it looking 100%, your beard needs TLC too. That's where beard moisturizer, beard balm, and beard oil come into play. Whether you prefer to sport a neatly-trimmed tuft or an epic facial hair forest, you need to get the lowdown on the different product types. Read on for the benefits of beard oil, balm, and moisturizer then discover which one is right for your mug rug.
Related: Avocado Benefits for Hair
Beard oil is perhaps the easiest of all beard grooming products to use and one that many beardsmen reach for first.
What is Beard Moisturizer?
It's a leave-in conditioner for your beard that softens, moisturizes, and detangles. The ingredients tend to include things like shea butter to moisturize, almond oil to encourage hair growth, and beeswax to seal in all the goodness.
What is Beard Balm?
Creamy beard balm is similar in texture to hair pomade and contains a mix of moisturizing and sealing ingredients. It works both as a leave-in conditioner and as a styling or shaping product. A good-quality beard balm moisturizes, delivers hold, and promotes the appearance of lush face foliage. Typical ingredients include shea butter, lanolin, and beeswax, while argan or jojoba oil may also be included.
What is Beard Oil?
Beard oil is a leave-in moisturizer and conditioner, usually containing a blend of essential oils in a skin-friendly carrier oil. A dime-sized amount should be applied to a dry beard post-washing; pump the oil into your palm then massage it into your skin and beard. Brush it through using a natural-bristle beard brush for even distribution.
What are the Benefits of Beard Moisturizer?
Beard moisturizer is ideal when you're in the process of cultivating your facial fuzz. It helps relieve new-growth beard itch (trust us: it's a thing), pumps your hair and skin with moisture and nourishment, and makes your beard easier to style. Beard moisturizer should be applied to dry beards post-washing, and here's why:
During the growth stages, dead skin cells can become trapped underneath the hair, which causes irritation. Beard moisturizer helps soothe this irritation and enables hair to grow without creating friction on your face. It also helps repair damaged hairs and combat beardruff (FYI that's beard dandruff). In terms of styling, moisturizers enable proper beard grooming by detangling the hair and making it easier to shape.
Beard Moisturizer Pros
- Great for when you're trying to grow a thick, full beard
- Moisturizes and delivers nutrients to both the hair and skin
- Soothes the itching that could tempt you to reach for the razor!
- Repairs damaged, frizzy hairs and eliminates flaky skin
- Detangles beard hair for easier combing and styling
Related: How to fix frizzy hair
Beard Moisturizer Cons
- Not particularly suitable for longer beards
- Won't hold your beard's style in place
What are the Benefits of Beard Balm?
Beard balm is designed for medium-to-large fur muzzles and is a great soothing moisturizer for dry chin skin. If it's made with all-natural ingredients, it will be super-gentle; if it contains nourishing oils, it will help combat brittle hair that's prone to breakage.
Apply beard balm to a dry beard after washing, taking care to massage it into the roots. Distribute the product from the top to the bottom of your beard and brush it through with a natural-bristle beard brush.
Related: Benefits of Coconut Oil for Hair
Beard Balm Pros
- Provides long-lasting moisture for a softer beard
- Gives your beard a little shine for a healthy look
- A good styling product that tames flyaway hairs
- Versatile enough to be used as a skin moisturizer
- Can be used along with beard oil if necessary
Beard Balm Cons
- The thick texture means it takes longer to absorb than beard oil
- Requires careful massaging to ensure even application
What are the Benefits of Beard Oil
Beard oil is your best buddy if you want a man mane that's full of vitality! It moisturizes the skin beneath your beard and softens the actual hair, making it ideal for the early growth stages and general beard maintenance. It helps reduce itching and flaking and promotes healthy hair growth. It can even enrich your beard with a refreshing (but lumbersexual) fragrance that will have your crush come running to stroke it.
Related: How to maintain a beard
If you're looking for a beard oil that does it all and is suitable for every type of chin curtain, then Elegance has you covered. Our Hair and Beard Oil effectively hydrates and softens your facial fluff and the skin it's hiding, giving you that coveted hipster look and hot-guy feeling. It also makes your beard smell fresh without overpowering your cologne. Including this excellent oil in your daily beard care regimen will ensure your face is irresistibly touchable. Massage it in, comb it through, and behold your beautiful beard!
Beard Oil Pros
- Being a liquid, it absorbs more quickly than a balm for effective hydration
- Leaves your hair touchably soft with a natural-looking matte finish
- Creates smooth texture without the stickiness that balms can cause
- Great for beards that behave, with hairs that naturally stay in place
- Gives your beard a pleasant fragrance, so it smells as good as it feels
Beard Oil Cons
- Doesn't provide hold so you may need an additional styling product
My Brain Hurts. Gimme the Basic Differences, Stat
Who knew beard grooming could be so involved, right? But relax guys; the differences between beard moisturizer, beard balm, and beard oil are easy to remember.
Differences Between Moisturizer, Balm, and Oil
- Beard Moisturizer does precisely what the name implies!
- Beard Balm does double-duty as a conditioner and styling aid
- Beard Oil softens, soothes, and sets your beard up for epic growth
Related: Six ways to reduce hair loss in men
The three products mainly differ in terms of their ingredients, texture, application, purpose, and suitability for various hair types:
- Beard Moisturizer generally contains hydrating butters; is similar to leave-in hair conditioner; is massaged into the hair and skin to moisturize and soften, and is best for when you're growing your beard
- Beard Balm contains a mix of butters and oils; is thicker and creamier than other products; is massaged into the hair to aid manageability, conditioning, and styling; and is best for mid-to-bushy beards
- Beard Oil is rich in nourishing essential oils; is a luscious but lightweight liquid that absorbs quickly when massaged in; moisturizes, refreshes, and relieves irritation; and (if you choose Elegance Hair and Beard Oil) is excellent for all beard types
What's the Best Beard Grooming Product for Me?
Determining the best beard grooming product for your particular hair type involves a quick examination of your face fleece. Look in the mirror; is it short or long, straggly or bushy, tidy, or untamed? Now, grab a hold of your beard and examine its condition. Does it feel coarse and damaged? Does the skin below feel dry and irritated?
Next, think about what you want from your product. Do you want something that moisturizes your hair and skin? Are you looking to boost your beard's growth rate? Or do you need an all-rounder that conditions and lets you whip up radical beard styles?
The best way to judge beard moisturizer vs beard balm vs beard oil is to give them a shot and see what works for your hair and skin type.
Elegance Hair and Beard Oil is a great place to start since it's universally suitable and super-hydrating. You'll have the softest, most stroke-worthy beard, so you can get out and do man stuff with style and confidence.
There's no denying that a beard is a must-have accessory for the modern man. Beards give your fac …Nov 11th 2019
You Need to Know These Benefits of Coconut Oil for Hair Consider the coconut. The rich oil o …Sep 10th 2019
For a sleek red-carpet-ready look, pomade is the hairstyling product for you. But it doesn’t just …Jul 16th 2019